Current:Home > FinancePGA Tour adds Tiger Woods to policy board in response to player demands -ApexWealth
PGA Tour adds Tiger Woods to policy board in response to player demands
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:41:59
Tiger Woods joined the PGA Tour board as the organization agreed to transparency and new governance measures, the tour announced Tuesday.
The new agreement is billed as an assurance that the PGA Tour remains "for the players, by the players, and gives the players an upper hand when it comes to partnering with LIV Golf."
The new board will be comprised of six player directors, five Independent directors, and the PGA of America Director. The other player directors are Patrick Cantlay, Charley Hoffman, Peter Malnati, Rory McIlroy, and Webb Simpson.
On Monday, more than three dozen players sent a letter to PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan demanding a bigger voice in the future of the sport.
"I am honored to represent the players of the PGA Tour. This is a critical point for the Tour, and the players will do their best to make certain that any changes that are made in Tour operations are in the best interest of all Tour stakeholders, including fans, sponsors and players," Woods said in a statement. "The players thank Commissioner Monahan for agreeing to address our concerns, and we look forward to being at the table with him to make the right decisions for the future of the game that we all love. He has my confidence moving forward with these changes."
STAY UP-TO-DATE: Subscribe to our Sports newsletter now for exclusive content
The move all but gives more power to the players and continues to squash any remaining issues with LIV Golf, which the PGA Tour entered into an agreement with in June. Tour's players were upset that behind the scenes dealing with LIV Golf were not communicated with them, with many feeling that were blindsided when the agreement with the Saudi-back venture was announced.
Woods secured a board spot after former AT&T executive Randall Stephenson resigned from his position last month. The board now has 11 voting members, and a majority vote is now with the players.
"I am committed to taking the necessary steps to restore any lost trust or confidence that occurred as a result of the surprise announcement of our Framework Agreement," Monahan said in a statement.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Lawsuit claims mobile home park managers conspired to fix and inflate lot rental prices
- Ex-Italy leader claims France accidentally shot down passenger jet in 1980 bid to kill Qaddafi
- What are healthy fats? They're essential, and here's one you should consume more of.
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Cozy images of plush toys and blankets counter messaging on safe infant sleep
- 2 adults, 2 children and dog found dead in Seattle house after fire and reported shooting; 11-year-old girl escapes
- USDA designates July flooding a disaster in Vermont, making farmers eligible for emergency loans
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Beyoncé shines bright among Hollywood stars during Renaissance concert tour stop in Los Angeles
Ranking
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- A look at the 20 articles of impeachment against Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton
- Dangerous riptides persist after series of Jersey Shore drownings, rescues
- First lady Jill Biden tests positive for COVID-19, but President Biden’s results negative so far
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Canada wedding venue shooting leaves 2 people dead, with 2 Americans among 6 wounded in Ottawa
- Person trapped at the bottom of 100-foot California ravine rescued after 5 days
- A half-century after Gen. Augusto Pinochet’s coup, some in Chile remember the dictatorship fondly
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Minnesota seeks unifying symbol to replace state flag considered offensive to Native Americans
Wait times to exit Burning Man drop after flooding left tens of thousands stranded in Nevada desert
Alex Murdaugh’s lawyers want a new trial. They say the court clerk told jurors not to trust him
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
61 indicted in Georgia on racketeering charges connected to ‘Stop Cop City’ movement
Ex-Italy leader claims France accidentally shot down passenger jet in 1980 bid to kill Qaddafi
Jury selection begins in contempt case against ex-Trump White House official Peter Navarro