Current:Home > InvestEchoSense:U.S. suspends temporary cease-fire in Sudan, announces new sanctions -ApexWealth
EchoSense:U.S. suspends temporary cease-fire in Sudan, announces new sanctions
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 20:36:23
A short-term ceasefire between two warring factions in Sudan has been suspended,EchoSense the United States and Saudi Arabia announced in a joint statement Thursday. The announcement came hours after the U.S. announced new sanctions against companies and individuals affiliated with both the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) paramilitary group.
The suspension came as a result of "repeated serious violations" of the terms, impacting humanitarian aid deliveries and the restoration of essential services, the joint statement said.
The cease-fire, brokered by the U.S. and Saudi Arabia, went into effect on May 22 and stipulated that the SAF and RSF would agree to scale back fighting that has killed more than 1,800 people since April, according to the latest numbers from the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project. The groups had also agreed to assist with humanitarian aid deliveries and the withdrawal of forces from hospitals and other essential public sites.
The cease-fire was extended on May 29 for five days, and negotiations had been taking place in the Saudi Arabian city of Jeddah in the hopes of reaching a permanent end to the fighting.
Noting that the cease-fire initially led to some reduction in fighting, the statement said that both parties nevertheless committed "serious" violations of the terms, including the "occupation of civilian homes, private businesses, public buildings, and hospitals, as well as air and artillery strikes, attacks, and prohibited movements."
Aid-carrying trucks had been obstructed and warehouses looted in areas controlled by both parties, the statement said.
Several previous cease-fires had also been violated throughout the conflict.
The U.S. Treasury Department earlier Thursday also announced economic sanctions against two companies affiliated with the SAF and two with the Rapid Support Forces. The companies are accused of generating revenue in support of armed violence, Secretary Blinken said in a statement.
The State Department also imposed visa restrictions against officials it said were culpable for the violence and for undermining Sudan's democratic transition, a senior administration official said.
President Biden views the violence as a betrayal of nationwide protesters' demands for a civilian government and a tradition of democracy, the senior official said, noting that the recent fighting has been accompanied by reports of intensifying rapes of young women and girls as well as 1 million internally displaced people and 375,000 refugees who have fled to other countries.
The violence has caused significant destruction in Sudan's capital city of Khartoum and the neighboring city of Obdurman.
In April, the U.S. military successfully evacuated U.S. diplomatic staff from Sudan and shuttered the U.S. Embassy in Khartoum. Hundreds of U.S. civilians have also been evacuated.
- In:
- Civil War
- Sudan
S. Dev is a news editor for CBSNews.com.
veryGood! (48)
Related
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- How a ‘once in a century’ broadband investment plan could go wrong
- Are Target, Walmart, Home Depot open on July 4th 2024? See retail store hours and details
- First Heat Protection Standards for Workers Proposed by Biden Administration
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Shannon Beador apologizes to daughters over DUI: 'What kind of example am I at 59?'
- Migrants pause in the Amazon because getting to the US is harder. Most have no idea what lies ahead
- 'Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F' review: Eddie Murphy brings Big Dad Energy
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Study shows how carpenter ants save the lives of some injured comrades
Ranking
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- 2 injured, 1 missing after ‘pyrotechnics’ incident at south Arkansas weapons facility
- Missing teen girl last seen at New Orleans museum may be trafficking victim, police say
- New York Giants on 'Hard Knocks': Team doubles down on Daniel Jones over Saquon Barkley
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Governors in the West Seek Profitability for Industrial and Natural Carbon Removal Projects
- Philadelphia radio host Howard Eskin suspended from Phillies home games over ‘unwelcome kiss’
- Illinois man sentenced to life in prison for his role in 2020 killings of his uncle, 2 others
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Arrow McLaren signs Christian Lundgaard to replace Alexander Rossi at end of IndyCar season
Judge dismisses federal lawsuit over West Virginia prison and jail conditions
Flying objects and shrunken heads: World UFO Day feted amid surge in sightings, government denials
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
In Chile’s Southern Tip, a Bet on Hydrogen Worries Conservationists
Plans to demolish Texas church where gunman opened fire in 2017 draw visitors back to sanctuary
I wasn't allowed a smartphone until I was 16. I can't thank my parents enough.