Current:Home > NewsFederal appeals court expands limits on Biden administration in First Amendment case -ApexWealth
Federal appeals court expands limits on Biden administration in First Amendment case
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 16:08:12
The nation’s top cybersecurity defense agency likely violated the First Amendment when lobbying Silicon Valley companies to remove or suppress the spread of online content about elections, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday.
The 5th Circuit Court of Appeals expanded an injunction issued in September to include the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, ruling that it used frequent interactions with social media platforms “to push them to adopt more restrictive policies on election-related speech.”
The previous decision from a panel of three judges – nominated by Republican presidents – concluded that the actions of the Biden White House, FBI and other government agencies likely violated the First Amendment but that CISA – which is charged with securing elections from online threats – attempted to convince, not coerce.
Republican attorneys general, who brought the case, asked for a rehearing. In Tuesday’s order, the 5th Circuit judges ruled that CISA facilitated the FBI’s interactions with social media companies.
The order bars CISA and top agency officials including director Jen Easterly from taking steps to “coerce or significantly encourage” tech companies to take down or curtail the spread of social media posts.
The Justice Department declined to comment. CISA, which is part of the Department of Homeland Security, said it does not comment on ongoing litigation, but executive director Brandon Wales said in a statement that the agency does not censor speech or facilitate censorship.
The lawsuit was filed by the attorneys general of Missouri and Louisiana as well as individuals who said their speech was censored.
“CISA is the ‘nerve center’ of the vast censorship enterprise, the very entity that worked with the FBI to silence the Hunter Biden laptop story,” Missouri Attorney General Andrew Bailey tweeted.
Born of conservative frustration with social media moderation practices, the lawsuit is one of a growing number that accuse government officials of colluding with platforms to favor Democrats and the Biden administration.
The ruling queues the case up for the Supreme Court, adding yet another high-profile and controversial social media case to the court’s docket. The Biden administration had already filed an emergency appeal in the case, but that effort was suspended when the 5th Circuit agreed to rehear the matter.
“We look forward to defending your First Amendment rights at the nation’s highest court,” Bailey tweeted.
The appeals court stayed the effects of its ruling for 10 days, which will give the Biden administration time to update their request to the Supreme Court.
The high court will hear arguments later this month in a pair of challenges dealing with whether public officials may block constituents on social media.
Separately, the justices agreed last week to decide two suits challenging laws in Texas and Florida that would limit the ability of platforms like Facebook, YouTube and X to moderate content. The state laws at issue in the cases, both of which have been temporarily blocked by federal courts, severely limit the ability of social media companies to kick users off their platforms or remove individual posts.
veryGood! (64319)
Related
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- US wrestler Amit Elor has become 'young GOAT' of her sport, through tragedy and loss
- Simone Biles’ greatness is summed up in one photo — but not the one you think
- David Lynch reveals he can't direct in person due to emphysema, vows to 'never retire'
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Michael Phelps calls for lifetime ban for athletes caught doping: 'One and done'
- The Small Business Administration expands clean energy loan program
- Fast-moving San Bernardino wildfire torches hillside community, forcing evacuations
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Dogs kill baby boy inside New York home. Police are investigating what happened before the attack
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Jessica Simpson Addresses “Misunderstood” Claim About Her Sobriety
- Kansas sees 2 political comeback bids in primary for open congressional seat
- Two hikers reported missing in Yosemite National Park after going on day hike Saturday
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- John Travolta and daughter Ella Bleu spotted on rare outing at Paris Olympics
- Kehlani's ex demands custody of their daughter, alleges singer is member of a 'cult'
- Elon Musk sues OpenAI, renewing claims ChatGPT-maker put profits before ‘the benefit of humanity’
Recommendation
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
Canadian Olympic Committee revokes credential for track coach amid abuse allegations
Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz's Daughter Lucie Shares Rare Photo With Brother Desi Jr.
Travis Kelce Credits Taylor Swift Effect for Sweet Moment With Fan
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Wayfair’s 60% off Bedding & Bath Sale Has Everything You Need for Your Dorm, Starting at $9
Witnesses will tell a federal safety board about the blowout on a Boeing 737 Max earlier this year
Bangladeshi PM Sheikh Hasina resigns as widening unrest sees protesters storm her official residence