Current:Home > MyFootball player Matt Araiza dropped from woman’s rape lawsuit and won’t sue for defamation -ApexWealth
Football player Matt Araiza dropped from woman’s rape lawsuit and won’t sue for defamation
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 21:36:36
SAN DIEGO (AP) — Former Buffalo Bills punter Matt Araiza is being dropped from a lawsuit filed by a woman who alleged she was raped by San Diego State University football players in 2021, it was announced Tuesday.
The woman agreed to dismiss Araiza from the lawsuit she filed last year while Araiza agreed to dismiss his defamation countersuit against her, and no money will be exchanged, attorneys for both sides told various media outlets.
“Thankfully, there was extensive evidence that was key to securing Matt’s voluntary dismissal from this lawsuit,” said a statement from Araiza’s attorneys cited by ESPN. “Matt was and has always been innocent. The case is over, and Matt has prevailed.”
Araiza intends to return to the NFL, his lawyers said.
The defamation lawsuit against the woman, described in court documents only as Jane Doe, was “legally baseless,” but her first legal bill topped $20,000 and she “simply cannot afford to defend herself,” her attorney, Dan Gilleon, said in a statement reported by the San Diego Union-Tribune.
“Plus she has been beat down by Araiza’s PR campaign and is frankly over it,” he said in a text, the news outlet reported.
The lawsuit against four other former Aztec players will continue.
Emails from The Associated Press seeking comment from Gilleon and Araiza’s lawyers, Dick Semerdjian and Kristen Bush, weren’t immediately answered Tuesday night.
Araiza was nicknamed the “Punt God” and honored as a consensus All-American in 2021 for his booming kicks that helped SDSU to a school-best 12-2 season in his senior year. He was selected by the Bills in the sixth round of the 2022 NFL draft but released two days after the filing of the lawsuit.
The woman alleged that she was 17 and attending an off-campus party in October 2021 when Araiza, then 21, had sex with her in a side yard at an off-campus house before bringing her into a bedroom where a group of men took turns raping her. She reported the alleged assault to San Diego police the next day.
Araiza has said he stayed in the backyard and never entered the home during the party and that he left nearly a half-hour before the alleged raping occurred.
He and most of the other players the woman is suing have said their encounters with her were consensual.
After a monthlong police investigation, the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office announced in December that it would not file criminal charges. Several media outlets obtained an audio recording of a meeting between prosecutors and the woman in which deputy District Attorney Trisha Amador said she concluded, based on a witness statement, that Araiza “wasn’t even at the party anymore” when the alleged raping could have occurred and wasn’t visible in videos that were recovered.
Earlier this year, the New York Jets hosted Araiza for a workout at the team’s facility, six days after a San Diego State investigation found no wrongdoing by him in connection with the alleged rape.
veryGood! (94413)
Related
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- 30 years after Oslo, Israeli foreign minister rejects international dictates on Palestinian issue
- Everleigh LaBrant Reacts to Song Like Taylor Swift Going Viral Amid Online Criticism
- Chorus of disapproval: National anthems sung by schoolkids at Rugby World Cup out of tune with teams
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Powerful explosion kills 4 Palestinians in Gaza. Israel says the blast was caused by mishandled bomb
- Adam Sandler announces I Missed You Tour dates: Where to see the standup show
- There's a glimmer of hope on Yemen's war front. Yet children are still dying of hunger
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- With incandescent light bulbs now banned, one fan has stockpiled 4,826 bulbs to last until he's 100
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Adam Sandler announces I Missed You Tour dates: Where to see the standup show
- Bryan Kohberger, suspect in murders of 4 Idaho college students, wants cameras banned from the courtroom
- Golden Buzzer dance troupe Chibi Unity advances to 'AGT' finale after member injures knee
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- South Korea expresses ‘concern and regret’ over military cooperation talks between Kim and Putin
- The Constitution's disqualification clause and how it's being used to try to prevent Trump from running for president
- How Concerns Over EVs are Driving the UAW Towards a Strike
Recommendation
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
UAW strike could cost US economy billions. Could it also push the nation into a recession?
What's next for Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers after Achilles injury?
Liev Schreiber Welcomes Third Baby, His First With Girlfriend Taylor Neisen
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
German prosecutor files murder charges against Syrian citizen accused of ‘Islamist-motivated’ attack
Powerful explosion kills 4 Palestinians in Gaza. Israel says the blast was caused by mishandled bomb
The Constitution's disqualification clause and how it's being used to try to prevent Trump from running for president