Current:Home > MyEthermac|Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co -ApexWealth
Ethermac|Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 13:37:49
Paula Abdul and EthermacNigel Lythgoe have settled their lawsuit a year after the allegations sent shockwaves through the dance industry.
On Thursday, the "Straight Up" singer filed a notice of settlement for the lawsuit against her fellow former “So You Think You Can Dance” judge Lythgoe, which included allegations of sexual assault and harassment. The terms of the settlement are unknown.
On Dec. 29 of last year, Abdul filed a lawsuit against the former “American Idol” executive producer, alleging that he sexually assaulted her during one of the “initial seasons” of "Idol" — on which she served as a judge for eight seasons starting in 2002 — and again in 2014 when she was judging "SYTYCD."
“I am grateful that this chapter has successfully come to a close and is now something I can now put behind me,” Abdul said in a statement provided to CNN and CBS News.
Abdul continued: "This has been a long and hard-fought personal battle. I hope my experience can serve to inspire other women, facing similar struggles, to overcome their own challenges with dignity and respect, so that they too can turn the page and begin a new chapter of their lives.”
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
USA TODAY has reached out to reps for Abdul and Lythgoe for comment.
Nigel Lythgoe is leaving Fox's'So You Think You Can Dance' amid sexual assault lawsuits
Other allegations against Lythgoe
Days after Abdul filed her lawsuit, two contestants who appeared on the 2003 ABC talent competition show "All American Girl" accused Lythgoe of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and negligence stemming from an alleged attack in May of that year. They filed anonymously, using the names Jane Doe K.G. and Jane Doe K.N.
Lythgoe worked on 'American Idol', 'SYTYCD'
Lythgoe produced “Idol” from 2002 to 2014 and "SYTYCD" from 2005-14.
He was a "SYTYCD" judge from its inception in 2005, but stepped back from the "SYTYCD" judging panel in January, telling USA TODAY in a statement at the time that he "informed the producers of ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ of my decision to step back from participating in this year’s series."
Contributing: KiMi Robinson
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (16318)
Related
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- 'The hardest thing': Emmanuel Littlejohn, recommended for clemency, now facing execution
- Johnny Depp calls Amber Heard defamation trial 'a soap opera' while promoting new film
- New York court is set to hear Donald Trump’s appeal of his $489 million civil fraud verdict
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- OpenAI exec Mira Murati says she’s leaving artificial intelligence company
- Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Star Eduardo Xol Dead at 58 After Stabbing Attack
- Abercrombie’s Secret Sale Has Tons of Fall Styles & Bestsellers Starting at $11, Plus an Extra 25% Off
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Trump says Ukraine is ‘dead’ and dismisses its defense against Russia’s invasion
Ranking
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- The price of gold keeps climbing to unprecedented heights. Here’s why
- Court asked to dismiss murder charge against Karen Read in death of her police officer boyfriend
- Anna Delvey Sums Up Her Dancing With the Stars Experience With Just One Word
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Resentencing for Lee Malvo postponed in Maryland after Virginia says he can’t attend in person
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom signs laws to curb oil and gas pollution near neighborhoods
- Democrats try to censure Rep. Clay Higgins for slandering Haitians in social media post
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Aaron Hernandez ‘American Sports Story’ series wants to show a different view of the disgraced NFLer
Crazy Town frontman Shifty Shellshock's cause of death revealed
New York court is set to hear Donald Trump’s appeal of his $489 million civil fraud verdict
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
Can AI make video games more immersive? Some studios turn to AI-fueled NPCs for more interaction
Trump says Ukraine is ‘dead’ and dismisses its defense against Russia’s invasion
Marcellus Williams executed in Missouri amid strong innocence claims: 'It is murder'